Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Week One Summary

I am currently in a hotel just outside of Spokane, Washington, supremely excited to be sleeping in a real bed and not having to worry about mosquitoes (or grizzlies). And I have real internet access!!!!!!! So, without further ado, here are some highlight pictures!

This is my tent set up at a campsite in the middle of nowhere, South Dakota. I've affectionately nicknamed my tent Emerald. I have a lot of conversations with her over the course of a night, especially when it's windy and I  am encouraging her not to blow over.

                                                    Sioux Falls, South Dakota. So pretty.

The very flat prairie. The climate is so different. Very windy & dry. But beautiful in it's own way.

Badlands National Park. So strange and desolate, but also beautiful. I've never seen anything like it.

Mount Rushmore, which was pretty but sort of underwhelming. I kept thinking that it should look bigger than it does. But the Black Hills are very beautiful.


A huge double rainbow I saw while driving in Wyoming.

Overlooking the plains on the way up into the Bighorn Mountains. The scariest drive ever for me, but also the coolest. I've never been so high (almost 9,000 feet) before. So amazing....it really has given the expression "jaw-dropping" a whole new meaning for me.

Bighorn Canyon....the reward for making it over those crazy mountain switchbacks.

Old Faithful, faithfully erupting. I have so many amazing Yellowstone pictures. I can't believe I only got to see such a small part of it. I didn't get there until later in the day, but that worked out in my favor because twilight is the best time to see wildlife.  I saw tons of animals, including bison, elk, a whole bunch of birds, and of course the best....

Yup, that's a grizzly. Which I observed safely from my car, unlike the other stupid tourists, who were getting out of their cars, with their small children and following the bear into the woods. With their three year old children in tow!!!! C-R-A-Z-Y people!!!!

And here's my parting shot for now, so I can take advantage of this comfy bed I've splurged on tonight-a sunset scene in Yellowstone, overlooking the Madison River....

More later, including an update to my Picasa gallery so you can see all my pictures. Leave me a comment!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Chickie, so glad you have made it so far and are having a good time. I love your pictures! Glad you're getting to see so much of the country. Enjoy, and we'll keep reading!
    Love,
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are safe and having a great time. The pics are wonderful! I can't wait to see them all.
    Good Bless!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics!
    I totally get your awe of the landscape on this side of the country.
    I was totally blown away, too, when we move to Idaho in 1995. Totally different from the East!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey lady.
    The pictures are beautiful, looks like you're having a wonderful time. Should you fancy a career change seriously consider lanscape photographer. I look forward to more posts. Be safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Pics!!! Glad you didn't jump out of your car and chase the grizzly!!!!!hope you enjoyed your bed. Looking forward to more pics!
    Blessings
    Lynn and Fred

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments everyone! I'm having a great time but I do miss you all!! I am being very careful and will definitely take the landscape photography career under advisement, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that last photo! Can you e-mail me the info for how to access your picasa account so I can see all your other stuff? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keri-I will once I get around to putting it on Picasa!!! I have some on Facebook, too.

    ReplyDelete