Saturday, July 31, 2010

Long, Awesome Trip

Yesterday we went to Valdez-it was a pretty long trip: 6 hours down and 6 hours back! But it was really cool. Here are some of the things we saw:

The Trans-Alaska pipeline. In some places you can see it stretch as far as the eye can see.

Dad and Susanne with the Worthington Glacier int he background. It was pretty cool to be able to just drive right up to the glacier-well, almost right up to it. I've been curious about the temperature of the water all along, so I stuck my hand in just to see:
Boy, was it cold! You would NOT want to go swimming in there!!
Here's a close-up shot of the glacier ice. We saw a whole group of people walking out on the ice way up high. Pretty crazy, if you ask me!

We also stopped at a few neat waterfalls along the way. Here's me, Dad & Susanne at Bridal Veil falls:
And here's Horsetail Falls, too:
We stopped at a place right outside of Valdez where you could see salmon spawning in this little stream.

Then we went to Chitina to see if we could meet up with my Uncle Larry, Aunt Kathy and cousins Gracie and Robbie. We saw them in their car as they were coming around a bend in the road, all done dip-netting for salmon (which was a bummer because I would have liked to have seen that), but we followed them to their campsite and were able to visit for a little while:
My dad and my uncle talking. Then my aunt filleted up a fresh-caught salmon for us, which I'll get to try tomorrow night. (I've never really had salmon before, so I'll let you know how that goes).

Today we're off to Anchorage again, so I'll post all my Anchorage pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Man I can taste that salmon from here___I'll bet you loved it!!!well I would have . I am really enjoying your posts --glad you made it--hows my rat by the way?? Did a bear get him?? lol
    Take care
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete