Friday, July 23, 2010

On the Gold Rush Trail

Today I embarked on my less-than-well-planned portion of my journey. I know the route I'm going to take, and I know I want to end up in Alaska on Tuesday or possibly Wednesday, but I'm just taking the stops as they come. So tonight I'm at a campground/motel on the Yellowhead Highway in a little town called 100 Mile House. I spent the day driving along the Fraser Canyon, where I got to see an area they call Hell's Gate (so named because the Hudson Bay Company's scout tried to run it in his canoe and wrote in his journal that this part of the river was "surely at the very gates of hell", complete with a tram ride that literally made me nauseous...nothing like paying $20 to be scared out of your wits!!
So above is the touristy fake background shot (which you can tell is fake because trust me, I was no where near the window on the actual tram), but here's the real thing:

You see that bridge in the background? I bet it has an amazing view, but I couldn't tell you, because despite my best effort to muster all my courage, I just couldn't bring myself to walk out on the open grating. But I still got to see some amazing views of the Fraser Canyon and learn a lot about salmon and their life cycle:

Canada loves to give it's tourist routes names, so today I've been driving on the "Gold Rush Trail." This was one of the areas gold was found in the late 1800s. There is actually railroad tracks running on both sides of the canyon. This was taken from the spot where they laid the "golden spike" to connect the two parts of the railroad.

I'm going to try to make it to either Chetwynd or even maybe Dawson Creek (where the Alaska Highway begins) tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find wifi there and have more awesome pictures tomorrow!!! Don't forgot to leave me a comment.

3 comments:

  1. PS-please excuse my typos & poor grammar in this post...I'm too tired to edit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the place the TV show was named after? Ah, high school and wasting days on watching dumb soap-opera-like shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Keri. I don't think so, because that Dawson Creek was in Massachusettes. But who knows? That show sure did have a lot of drama.

    ReplyDelete