Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wildlife in the Wild

Without further ado, here are the best shots of the wildlife we saw on our Denali bus trip. Some of them are not of great quality, because while my camera's nice, it's not that nice. But it was absolutely amazing to see all these animals behaving as if we weren't even there. Truly the experience of a life time.

A female moose, sort of in the center of the picture. Not the most exciting shot, but this was the first wildlife we saw on the shuttle bus trip.

A pica, which looks like a mouse but is actually the smallest member of the rabbit family.

For some reason, I was having trouble getting the cropped image to upload. But if you look in the middle of the picture, you'll see some black specks, one right near the tree line and another laying down slightly below and to the left. Those are part of a wolf pack we saw. I will work on getting the cropped images up.

A big grizzly bear we spent about ten minutes watching. He was sort of just ambling along, chomping on bushes and berries. Our driver said it was probably a juvenile, and you can kinda see the radio collar around his neck.

A whole bunch of Dall sheep, just chilling, on the cliffs below Polychrome pass. There were about nine of them in all.
A mama moose and her calf, running across the hillside. That little guy was soooooo cute.

A lone wolf running for cover.

You can just make out the caribou standing along the ridge line. We actually saw tons of caribou, but some of those pictures were ones I also had trouble cropping. I also have a few of some big bull moose. If I'm able to solve the problem, I'll post when I can.

Up next, I'll be starting to show you my journey home, which if you followed my live blogging, you know took some, er, interesting turns. Also, I'll be at the National Book Festival in DC next weekend-always one of my favorite trips, and, as long as I get the hotels squared away, I'll be in Vermont on Columbus Day weekend with my grandma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment