Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Great One

The Denali bus ride was definitely one (of the many) highlights of my time in Alaska. I have so many pictures from the park that it would be impossible to share them in just one post, if only because it takes my slow computer forever to load them. So I'll start today with some shots of the mountain itself, from all different places in the park.

Because Denali is such a high mountain, it makes its own weather and is often all clouded in. In fact, only 30% of park visitors usually get to see the peak clearly. This July, it was visible only one day from the Eielson Visitor's Center. So we were incredibly lucky to have some great views of it for two days in a row!

This was my first view, from along the Parks Highway near Nenana.

An even better view from another spot along the Parks Highway. Isn't amazing how, despite the fact that there are mountains all around you, Denali just dominates the sky?

This may have been my favorite view. I took this from Savage Campground at about 6 am. The way the clouds were, and the spruce trees, against the clear, stark white of the peaks, it was this breathtaking sight. The photos I took don't even come close to doing justice to the beauty of the acutal scene.

I love this shot for the juxtaposition of the colors. You can see the green plains in front of you, leading up to the rocky mountains, which are dominated by the snow-covered peaks of Denali itself.

I totally forget where this is, but it's not far from Eielson. Our bus driver told us this was a pretty iconic shot, with the road in the foreground. You can see that by this point, around 11 am, the mountain was already starting to cloud over.

The view from Eielson, with no zoom, from about 35 miles as the crow flies from the mountain.

This shot has some zoom, and I love again how it shows the different elevations.

A close-up of the summit.

That's me :-). I was a little frustrated because I was taking shots for everyone around me, most of which came out really nice, and this is the best of the ones people took for me. It was windy and of course it's hard to photograph a white mountain against a light sky, but still, I was disappointed. However, that didn't last long, because I was mostly overjoyed to have seen such natural beauty.

Up next (by this weekend), my Denali wildlife shots. I will warn you now, most of them are grainy and blurry, but you can still tell what kind of animal it was. So stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment