Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Leaving Alaska

Despite what an awesome (albeit slightly indirect) trip home I had, it was really hard to leave Alaska. It was great that Tasha was with me for so many reasons, but those first few days, her presence definitely prevented me from turning around and going back to Wasilla. Saying good-bye to my dad (and Susanne) was pretty hard. Witness my red, teary face!


Anyway, once we got going, it wasn't so bad. And I obviously came home, so that was good (although how long I'll stay is anyone's guess). Our first few days were mostly a lot of driving. The scenery along the Alaska Highway is beautiful, but those frost heaves are killer. That first day, we only made it to the Alaska-Yukon border, because we left late (of course!), go stuck in construction, stopped at Fred Meyers (always good for an hour or so), and visited a few places, too.


A big polar bear (the only kind of bear I have yet to see in the wild-but Churchill, Manitoba is so on my list) at the Santa Claus house in North Pole.



Another shot for my collection of "the biggest ______ in the world" things. This one is a vintage Santa, proudly displayed in North Pole.



The Trans-Alaska Pipeline suspension bridge over the river....I think it's the Tanana, but I saw so many rivers I kinda lost track.


Rika's Roadhouse, which was (and still is, in a way) a stop along the old dogsled route from Fairbanks to Valdez.


A sunflower from the garden at Rika's. Check out the bee in the center of the flower, doing his pollination thing.


The other end of the Alaska Highway. I officially drove the entire thing-without getting a flat tire or eaten by a bear.


Gorgeous mountains (I believe they're the Wrangell-St. Elias range) along the Alaska Highway south of Tok.


The international boundary between the US and Canada. Apparently they clear the trees and brush along the boundary once every ten years-sounds like a fun job!!

Up next, the rest of our (mis)adventures in the Yukon!

1 comment:

  1. Melissa-

    I wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your blog. I've read some along the way, some since you've returned, and fit it in when I had some down time. I have enjoyed most the pictures...absolutely breathtaking! Especially from the place of knowing I will probably never get to see these things for myself.

    All that said, I have loved reading about your journey and the opportunity to watch you grow in it. Maybe I can't quite put to words what or how you've changed, but it is seen in your writing, your pictures...YOU!

    I am so excited for this in you. I am blessed to have been a part of the virtual journey with you and the residual after effects. I jsut wanted you to know! Love you!

    ReplyDelete