Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fairbanks, Part 1

We are in beautiful, sunny Fairbanks! It is so nice to finally see the sun, because it has been so cloudy. We went up and visited my uncle at his cabin on Thursday & Friday, but I forgot to take pictures (sorry, Grandma). Then today we did a bunch of stuff in Fairbanks before picking up my friend Tasha from the airport. Tasha will be joining me for the trip back east, which is so cool!!! I'll post details about our itinerary once we figure it out. But for now, here's some snaps from Fairbanks.

Susanne & I outside Pioneer Park in Fairbanks. It's pretty nice in here. They have a lot of museums and old log cabins that have been preserved.
They also have this riverboat that was preserved from the gold rush era that you can walk around inside.
That's me coming out of a little house that's kept at 40 below! My dad insisted I go in. It was soooooooooooo cold I think that the snot in my sinuses froze!
We went to El Dorado gold mine, which is a working mine, and went panning for gold. My dad used to do this, so he knows how and he showed us. We got about 7 grains of gold, which was worth about $50 altogether. I got it put into a locket.
A big old grizzly bear at the Museum of the North in the U of Alaska. It's like 9 feet tall!
And here's my hand inside the grizzly track. Hope I don't meet one of those while hiking in the woods!
Athabascan natives make these amazing beaded items & intricately woven baskets. It is so amazing to see. I wish I could afford to buy some, but it's pretty expensive since it's so detailed.
This is a Tlingit ceremonial robe. The Tlingit & Haida art is probably my favorite of all the native art.

Tomorrow we are going to the farmer's market & the Tanana Valley Fair. Not sure when I'll have another chance to post pictures-maybe when we are back in the Yukon. Tasha & I will be leaving Denali and heading out of Alaska on Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa, looks like you're having a fantastic time! Stay in touch and let us know your route back. Miss you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melissa, thanks for the great postcards, especially the puzzle-card. Such fun! I loved the picture of you and your Dad panning for gold. Enjoy the rest of your trip! I can't wait to read about the rest of your adventures. Be safe.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray, I'm officially caught up on your blog! Alaska looks like it is amazing, and I'm glad you'll have some company for your trip home :)

    ReplyDelete