Sunday, April 10, 2011

Driving All Night Through New Mexico

We left the Grand Canyon pretty late, after eating an awesome dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Tusayan, the tiny town outside the park. Our original plan had been to go up through the mountains through the four corners and into Colorado that way. But after our all-night experience driving the mountains in British Columbia, we opted for the less-scenic, better-traveled interstate. I slept all the way to Gallup, just over the Arizona border; I got the sunrise shift, which was awesome. We passed the El Malpais National Monument, and I pulled over. I was so glad I did.









Then we went through Albequerque and Santa Fe, driving along parts of Route 66.



We also saw the Rio Grande River. I'm not really sure why I think rivers are so cool, but I totally do. I want to see all of the major US rivers. If I had lived two hundred years ago, I would have dressed like a man and stowed away on the Lewis & Clark expedition.


When we went through Santa Fe, they were having this huge Indian craft market, and we couldn't find parking anywhere. I'm excited to be going back there this summer.


Up next, the Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment